Monday, October 15, 2012

High Protein Snack Bread

Entering my third trimester has brought on more changes in my body. My belly is growing, the baby is kicking harder and I can barely fit anything in my stomach before feeling full. Now that the baby lives in a "pouch" that comes up to about 2 inches above my belly button there isn't much room left for my stomach to expand; not to mention the pregnancy hormones slowing down my digestion. Because of this I find myself needing to snack often. I like to keep these snacks as healthy as possible. One of my new favourites is this protein/nutrient packed bread I found here.


This bread is packed with nutrient rich seeds and nuts! What are these nutrients you ask? Well... 
Raw peptia seeds: Beneficial unsaturated fats and the amino acids tryptophan and glutamate. Tryptophan is nature's natural sleeping pill. Turkey is also high in this amino acid, which contributes to the yearly "turkey tireds". These seeds also contain vitamin E, a natural antioxidant. 
Sesame seeds:  High in oleic acid (which helps decrease LDL cholesterol),  high in natural antioxidants, and high in folic acid, an essential vitamin for pregnancy.   
Sunflower seeds: High in linoleic acid and oleic acid, high in natural antioxidants, and vitamin E. 
Almonds: Like the above nuts, almonds are high in oleic acids and vitamin E. 
All of the above seeds and nuts are also packed with B-vitamins and essential minerals. Although high in fat and therefore calories, nuts, in moderation, are a good addition to any diet. 


Baking this bread made such a sweet smell in my kitchen I could barely wait for it to come out of the oven.
While the bread was cooling I made a cup of chai apple tea.
I topped mine with honey and Chia seed for a sweet and nutty afternoon snack. I am so glad I came across this recipe. I highly suggest you make it yourself! If you are looking for reasonably priced almond butter, try Costco.
Enjoy!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made this yesterday Jen and it was fabulous. I topped mine with honey as well. It is dense, it is nutty it is great. This is a keeper for sure. Have saved the recipe. Thanks honey.
MOM

Anonymous said...

Made this yesterday Jen and it was fabulous. I topped mine with honey as well. It is dense, it is nutty it is great. This is a keeper for sure. Have saved the recipe. Thanks honey.
MOM